What Else Do I Need to Know?


In accordance with the requirements of the federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the college protects each student’s right to privacy by limiting access to student records.  For communication to occur with parents, medical providers, and/or therapists/counselors students have to sign a Consent for Release of Confidential information form. In addition, DAS requires that each student sign a Consent for Release of Confidential Information form before any information pertaining to accommodations/services can be released. You may request a printed copy from the DAS Office or Advisor.

Emergency Planning at Guilford Tech

No one expects an emergency or disaster to affect him or her – or the work area. Yet the reality is that emergencies and disasters can strike anyone, anytime and anywhere. A workplace emergency is an unforeseen situation that: threatens students, staff, faculty, and visitors; disrupts or shuts down part or all of the college community, or causes physical or environmental damage.

Students with disabilities at GTCC are expected to follow the same emergency response procedures as non-disabled students unless their disability dictates otherwise.  It is strongly recommended that disabled students prepare for unexpected emergencies by becoming familiar with their surroundings (i.e., accessible evacuation routes, exits, etc.) and developing a personal emergency response plan.  Your DAS Counselor can assist you with this plan.


The mission of the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) ensures equal access to education and promotes educational excellence throughout the nation through vigorous enforcement of civil rights.

An individual can contact the Office for Civil Rights to report any educational discrimination on the basis of race, sex, disability, etc. and may also request information on civil rights compliance programs, procedures for filing discrimination complaints, or access to civil rights regulatory and policy documents. The Office for Civil Rights is located in Washington, DC. Information can be obtained by phone (1-800-421-3481), TTY (1-877-521-2172) or email at (ocr@ed.gov).

Procedures for Resolving a Conflict

If possible, all concerns and complaints should be resolved in a respectful discussion at the most direct level.  It is strongly recommended and expected that the student first discusses his/her complaint with the person against whom the complaint is being made.  If circumstances of the complaint prevent the student from having this discussion, or if the complaint is not resolved, the student should discuss the complaint with the Department Chair, and then the Division Chair for that division. Refer to the student complaint policy for guidance.