Which GI Bill Should I Apply For?
Eligibility criteria are complex. The following statements are general snippets about eligibility criteria. Students must file an application with the VA so they can determine if they are eligible and the conditions of their eligibility.
- Post-9/11 GI-Bill® – (Chapter 33)
- Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Must waive all other educational benefits.
- Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty – (Chapter 30) – (Contributed $1200.00 while on Active Duty)
- (Up to 36 months of education benefits) Generally benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. (Complete VA Form 22-1990)
- Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve – (Chapter 1606)
- The MGIB-SR program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. (Complete VA Form 22-1990)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Programs – Reap (Ch.1607)
- Designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation as declared by the President or Congress).(Complete VA form 22-1990)
- Dependents Educational Assistance Program – DEA (Chapter 35)
- Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. (Complete VA form 22-5490)
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program -Voc Rehab (Chapter 31)
- Helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities.Contact the VA Regional Office for an appointment.
- North Carolina Children’s Scholarship
- Scholarships may be available for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA Veterans. Provided by the State of N.C. – not a federal program
- TA Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Assistance)
- Tuition Assistance may be provided to eligible Active Duty and Reserve members through their respective military